How To Locate Your IP Address on ‘Microsoft Windows’, ‘Mac OS X’ or ‘Linux OS’
An Internet Protocol address (IP address) is a label provided to all the devices which uses internet protocol for communication.IP address is used for identification and locating addressing.
IP address are in the form of Binary numbers such as 172.16.254.1 (for IPv4), and 2001:db8:0:1234:0:567:8:1 (for IPv6).
Here we are giving you steps for Locating your IP address for your device.
How To Find Your IP Address on Microsoft Windows ?
- Click the Start Menu, and select Run (or press window key + r.)
- Type in ”cmd” into the box and click the ”OK” button.
- Finally, at the prompt, type ”ipconfig” and information about your IP Address will be displayed.
- To close the program, type in Exit and the process will end.
- Now just close the program in the usual manner.
How To Find Your IP Address Using Mac OS X?
- For Mac users, you can find your IP address by opening up the Terminal program.
- When Terminal is open type in ”ifconfig” at the prompt.
- Once you have located your IP Address information, type in “Exit” and the Terminal process will end.
- Now just close the program in the usual manner (x).
- (Terminal is located in Applications, under the Utilities folder.)
How To Find Your IP Address on a Linux OS ?
- On a Linux system, you can find your IP address by typing ”ifconfig” at the prompt, which will then display information about your IP Address.
- Again, once you have located your IP Address information, type in “Exit”.
- If you can access the Internet, there are a number of sites available to locate your IP address.