Use Your Android as a WiFi Dongle / Wifi Adapter to Access your Home WiFi
So, you have a WiFi internet access at home but you don’t have a WiFi dongle / adapter on your PC (All laptops have those nowadays ) , well then you can still enjoy Internet on your desktop without buying any external or internal WiFi Dongle / Adapter as your Android can easily turn into a WiFi Dongle / Adapter .
The process in brief for techies is , just connect your phone to desktop via USB and in your WiFi Settings menu start your WiFi and also start USB tethering and you have a ready working connection that does not uses your 3G or GSM to connect , rather it will use your Home/Office WiFi to connect.
Note – This only works for Froyo Android v 2.2 and above
For, less techie people the process is detailed as under :
- Connect your Android to your Desktop via USB cable
- Now, go to your settings and enable WiFi and I assume you have your WiFi setup on phone to automatically connect to your home WiFi access point
- Now, the important part is , without enabling your 3G/ Mobile data just straight away go to the USB Tethering option in Settings > WiFi Settings > Tethering & portable Hotspot > USB Tethering
- Enable USB tethering and you’ll see your Windows automatically installs some drivers and then You have a ready Working Internet Connection
- Bingo ! Now, enjoy your Internet
The steps above were for any Android froyo but as mobile makers make changes to default android UI , you might some options at some other places but for a stock Android phone the above steps will apply, try to locate these settings in your phone too , if the menu sequence written above does not matches that on your Android device .
Have Fun , and ask your problems (if any) in Comments !
But is it better than a USB dongle? My PC has no wireless card and I can’t be bothered to open it up, and by HTC wildfire S gets a really unworkably weak WiFi signal from our router.
WiFi on my tab (iBall Slide Q9703) has failed. :'( Is there any way I can use an external WiFi dongle on it?